Patrones: wool dress

by - 07:00

Even though I'm completely in love with summer cotton dresses, I equally adore warm and cosy winter clothes. But "warm and cosy" shouldn't mean "baggy and granny-style". The Patrones pattern allowed me to sew the dress that is not just perfect for the chilly weather, but is elegant at the same time.

Before I stated sewing, my typical winter dress was a close fitting sweater one. But unfortunately most of them are acrylic, while I prefer natural fibres. More over, those garments loose their softness and shrink a lot after a couple of washings. I'm sure it's possible to find a nice, warm and classy wool dress, but it might cost a fortune. So it's much better to just sew one. This Patrones one is a good example of my favourite winter dress: it's warm, elegant and made of natural materials. 


I've bought this wool blend fabric in a local shop, 1 metre of each colour. Because wool can be stretched out easily, the dress is fully lined with silky viscose.


 I finished the neckline with a hand made bias biding tape


The skirt is my basic 3/4 circle pattern, and the bodice is from a Spanish magazine Patrones #332. Since I was working with quite a thick fabric, I didn't want to have any front waist darts.


 It's not a bad pattern, but I had to alter it a lot. Even the length was to big for me, which is a huge surprise for a regular pattern. The only time I had to alter the bodice length was with a Burdastyle seamed dress pattern, but it was from their tall collection, so it makes the perfect sense.



I finished the neckline with some vintage lace. I thought it'll be a nice touch to the classical design.



It's not my only wool dress, and I'm sure it's not the last one. It's a big satisfaction to wear something that fits you perfectly, looks classy and is amazingly warm at the same time.






Want to save some money on buying patterns or fabrics?
Sign up for new promotions from pattern companies and fabric shops, along with my latest posts and sewing tips and tricks that won’t appear on the blog!

Enter your email address:



Do you like Patrones patterns?

You May Also Like

0 comments